What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are small titanium posts that are intricately placed into the jawbone in the areas where the teeth are missing. The bone then bonds with the titanium, creating a sturdy foundation for substituted teeth. The small posts that protrude through the gums are subsequently attached to the implant. Additionally, implants help maintain facial structure, thus preventing bone weakening that may occur with missing teeth.
How you’ll get treated with dental Implants at Younes Dental Clinic?
Prior to receiving implants, you will have a consultation with Dr. Ali Younes to determine your candidacy. He will examine your oral health and evaluate your gums and jawbone. He will use our state-of-the-art, 3-D scanner to analyze your jawbone to determine the optimal placement and position for your implants.
- On the initial appointment we’ll take Impressions, photographs, 3D Xrays, medical and dental history in order to analyse your case and make a treatment plan. During this visit we’ll analyse your bone and anatomy,and discuss the best treatment options and cost.
- On the Second appointment we’ll place the implants
- For Same Day Implants: we’ll take impressions so that the lab can make the provisional(temporary teeth), which is placed on the same day. Then we’ll give the patients instructions on how to brush correctly, what to eat and what to avoid.
- For traditional methods: the implant is covered by the gum, usually for 3 months. Then we’ll give the patients instructions and advice.
- After healing:
- For Same Day Implants(after 1 week to 3 months): we’ll remove the temporary teeth, and replace them with metal-ceramic teeth.
- For traditional methods (after 2 to 3 months): we’ll open the gum to reveal the implants, then we will attach the metal-ceramic crown. Then we’ll give the patients instructions and advice on how to brush correctly, what to eat and what to avoid.
Who can get Implants?
This procedure is not recommended for smokers or diabetics. Patients must be free of periodontal disease and other oral health problems and have enough bone to support implants. If you have lost bone volume (a common problem when teeth are missing), Dr. Ali Younes can perform a bone graft. Candidates should be in good overall health and commit to good oral hygiene practices prior to and following implant placement to avoid future complications.
Advantages of dental implants
- Improved appearance. Dental implants look and feel like your own teeth. And because they are designed to fuse with bone, they become permanent.
- Improved speech. With poor-fitting dentures, the teeth can slip within the mouth causing you to mumble or slur your words. Dental implants allow you to speak without the worry that teeth might slip.
- Improved comfort. Because they become part of you, implants eliminate the discomfort of removable dentures.
- Easier eating. Sliding dentures can make chewing difficult. Dental implants function like your own teeth, allowing you to eat your favorite foods with confidence and without pain.
- Improved self-esteem. Dental implants can give you back your smile and help you feel better about yourself.
- Improved oral health. Dental implants don’t require reducing other teeth, as a tooth-supported bridge does. Because nearby teeth are not altered to support the implant, more of your own teeth are left intact, improving long-term oral health. Individual implants also allow easier access between teeth, improving oral hygiene.
- Durability. Implants are very durable and will last many years. With good care, many implants last a lifetime.
- Convenience. Removable dentures are just that; removable. Dental implants eliminate the embarrassing inconvenience of removing dentures, as well as the need for messy adhesives to keep them in place.
Risks and Benefits
As with any surgical procedure, there are risks. These include risk of infection, bleeding, swelling, and risk of implant failure if the restoration is not placed correctly. The risks are low, however, if your procedure is performed by a highly skilled and experienced Dentist such as Dr. Ali Younes.
Implants eliminate the need for bridges and the risks that come with this procedure to replace missing teeth.
Same-day implants allow for a greatly reduced treatment period. Implants and your restoration can be placed in just one appointment, and you do not have to wait through the osseointegration process as you would with traditional dental implants. Same-day implants provide you with immediately improved function and appearance of your smile. Your new denture will not cover your palate, and it will be permanently fixed in place. You will brush it like your natural teeth, and it will look and feel like your own original teeth.
Frequently asked questions:
Diabetics can get Implants!
but keep in mind diabetics are at high risk of bleeding and gum disease, which might lead to implant failure.
As long as your blood sugar is maintained at an acceptable level, there shouldn’t be too much risk
Depending on your case, teeth can be placed immediately on the same day of the operation or after a few months
Not necessarily, we can provide provisional or temporary teeth.
No, you’ll be put under local anesthesia, and wont feel a thing.
After the operation you might feel a mild discomfort, which will disappear in a couple of days.
If you follow your doctors advice and proper brushing and oral hygiene are maintained the implants should last a life time.
During the initial healing period, you’ll be put on a soft diet for a couple of months, then you can go back to eating normally, but you should avoid very hard foods such as nuts.
Yes, but it will increases the possibility of a failed Implant, we advise you reduce or stop smoking as soon as possible, if you are considering implants.
For Smokers considering implants, they should begin reducing they’re cigarettes to at least 3 per day or stop smoking for 2 months prior to the operation and stop completely for 3 weeks after the operation.
Yes, no one will be able to tell that you had implants.
There is always a 2-3% chance that an implant might fail, but don’t worry, all our implants are covered by a lifetime warranty and will be replaced in case of failure.
The operation will usually last between 30 minutes to 2 hours for each jaw.
Yes, we can make Immediate implantation after extraction in one operation.